RE: Fanny Crosby

I was reading a brief biography about a very inspirational woman of God, Fanny Crosby. She is the writer behind many of today's popular hymns. What I hadn't realized before is that she had been totally blind since childhood. In a unique God-given perspective, she was joyful for her blindness and praised God for what many considered a disability. At just the age of 8-years old, she wrote this poem, which has totally humbled me:

Oh, what a happy child I am,
Although I cannot see!
I am resolved that in this world
Contented I will be.

How many blessings I enjoy
That other people don't!
So weep or sigh because I'm blind,
I cannot, or I won't!
It's amazing that a child can be so wise. At my age, there are a lot of things I complain about. Many of which are infinitely more insignificant than blindness. My prayer for this week is to share in Fanny's thoughts, that regardless of what is going on, I will find my joy in God and resolve that "in this world contented I will be".

0 comments:

Post a Comment